Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ron Paul gets a raw deal from the pundits...

Tonight's CNN debate was a mess. I thought Fox News did a mediocre job (they normally do) with the debate earlier this week, but tonight CNN managed to make that one look like it had substance. I don't know if you could call anyone a winner tonight, no one really excelled they were so bogged down with personal background garbage, but watching the comments/"scorecards" going up on twitter and facebook I think Ron Paul is getting a raw deal. 


Everyone seems to have Dr. Paul as the weakest performer tonight and I think that's incorrect. In my view, Santorum (who admittedly is my least favorite of the remaining candidates) was the weakest tonight simply because his entire strategy rested on throwing attacks, many of which were completely irrelevant to the issues at hand, at the others and attempting to play a consistent conservative high card with each attack. All three of his opponents put him back in his place repeatedly with answers or stats to counter his attacks and his strategy reeked of desperation and an overall lack of substance. You don't play the "I'm doing well in the polls and I can take on Obama" card and turn around and pout or throw petty personal attacks at your opponents the next second and then not be able to adequately back them up. He did succeed in bruising Romney a bit, but I thought Romney had a pretty good first hour when he managed to inject some passion and excitement in his ideas for the first time I can remember since I started watching the debates. The rest of the night wasn't as great for him, and he did a pretty poor job answering the tax and abortion questions, but I don't think he did badly overall. Likewise, Gingrich has a very strong opening exchange, but you could tell he was a little off his game overall tonight compared to previous debates and I think this personal stuff going on with his angry ex-wife is taking a toll on his concentration regardless of how much of it is true. Paul didn't do a very good job of delivering real answers to several of the questions tonight, which is a bit unusual for him, but his style was smoother than normal and he got some hits in on Santorum simply by countering Santorum's statements against him.  It's the first debate I wish I hadn't watched, but I was curious to see how things played out with Rick Perry off the stage. The dynamic was certainly different, but it's impossible to say how much the field has changed when a debate centers around unimportant personal history and petty attacks instead of the biggest issues facing whoever our next President will be. 


With that said, I think Ron Paul did a lot better tonight than the media is giving him credit for and he deserves to be placed ahead of Rick Santorum in any evaluation of the debate. Paul was able to counter every one of Santorum's attacks and in my opinion did some damage to Santorum's credibility in the way he handled the issues. I may not have Dr. Paul as my top pick in this race anymore, but I won't ignore it when the media ignores his strengths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment